My Photo
Name:
Location: Iowa, United States

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

It's D-Day.....Now what?

So here I am, at work, eating left over pizza at my desk on the Estimated Due date of Baby Olson. Since we found out, I have had a clock type ticker counting down the days until the due date and as of today, it is gone. The weekly updates on my pregnancy with tidbits of information came today with congratulations on your new bundle of joy--yet we sit here....still waiting. I've kind of prepared myself for the fact that I will be overdue, yet I can't help but feel kind of let down at the same time. Yes, I know that I still have 11 hours until midnight and anything can happen, but chances are it won't. I am just ready to get this over with. I'm tired of thinking about it, talking about it and waiting for it to happen. I've been getting contractions over the last few days and the baby is so low that if it dropped anymore I'd be walking around with it in my knees. Yet the baby is still comfortable in there, in its own little personal hot tub keeping the rest of us in suspense. Tomorrow, I start charging rent.

The statistical numbers for Due dates to me is like a huge dart board. It is said that 95% of babies are born within 2 weeks of their EDD. This is anywhere between 38 and 42 weeks from LMP (40 weeks full term). Yet only 14% of babies are actually born on their due dates. Furthermore, only 10% of babies are more than a week overdue (but with early ultrasound confirmation, this drops to 4%). I never took a statistics class in school so I don't know what all this could mean statistically, but common sense says it is a load of manure. People like numbers, so they set up a formula that is as useless as a politician. It tells you what you want to hear, yet tells you absolutely nothing.

People have circulated both my desk and Mike's inquiring on whether the baby is here yet. I even brought in donuts today because I figure I might as well feed the people who come by since I don't have a whole heck of a lot left to do. I guess I'd rather spend my day here at work waiting and doing a little something rather than being at home watching TV and watching the clock tick on by. By the way, I still have 4 donuts left if anyone wants one.........

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We would like to come and give some support
Mariet and Jan

4:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home